ABOUT CENTRE FOR DEMOCRACY AND DEVELOPMENT (CDD)
The Centre for Democracy and Development (CDD) was established in the United Kingdom in 1997 as an independent, not-for-profit, research training, advocacy and capacity-building organisation. The purpose was to mobilise global opinion and resources for democratic development and provide an independent space to reflect critically on the challenges posed to the democratisation and development processes in West Africa. Our mission is to be the prime catalyst and facilitator for strategic analysis and capacity building for sustainable democracy and development in West Africa. CDD set out to generate dialogue on alternative pathways that are universally relevant and context-sensitive. The Centre remains focused on capacity building work, policy advocacy, and as a research reference point on democratic governance, human security, people-centred development and human rights.
The Research Analyst will lead in the provision of support to the organisation’s evolving areas of analytical and programmatic expertise, especially in the areas of democratisation, security, emerging technologies, and sustainable development in West Africa.
Qualification and Experience
- A master’s degree in the social sciences, law, or the humanities (though exceptional recent graduates will be considered).
- Strong writing and analytical skills.
- Exceptional organisational skills and attention to detail.
- Demonstrated interested in and understanding of issues related to peace and mediation, conflict and insecurity, democracy and elections, women’s political participation and gender inequalities, disinformation, transitional justice, and how emerging technologies will affect politics and society.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Proficiency with the entire Microsoft Office Suite and experience in multimedia production.
- Experience in a non-profit, think tank, or analytical research role preferred.
- Provide advanced analytical support to the research unit, including leading in drafting and authoring research proposals, research briefs and memos on relevant issues.
- Contribute to the preparation of high-quality research outputs and multimedia products.
- Provide on-call research to support preparation for meetings, events, publications, multimedia products, and research trips.
- Attend relevant policy and scholarly events and provide a summary to the research unit.
- Consult a wide variety of news services and peer-reviewed journals and prepare memos to brief the research unit staff on relevant and emerging trends in West Africa.
- Effectively coordinate and manage the pool of research interns
Support in maintaining and developing external partnerships in private, public, and civil society sectors.
- Liaise with our communications team to maximise the exposure of our research and advocacy.
- Support in identifying new research and funding opportunities that have the potential for significant growth.
- Undertake any other duties assigned by the Director of research.
Method of Application
Qualified Applicants for the position above must email their CVs (Max 3pages, Word or pdf document); a letter of expression of interest; and two (2) writing samples, each no longer than 5 pages to: email@example.com & firstname.lastname@example.org using the “Name and Job title” as the subject of the mail.
23rd August 2021
Please note that applications sent after the deadline will not be considered.
- Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
- Only Electronically submitted applications will be entertained. Scanned applications will be disregarded.
- Subject line of emails must state clearly the Name of Applicant and Job Title of position applied for.
- No phone calls, please.