The Centre for Democracy and Development (CDD) was established in the United Kingdom in 1997 and subsequently registered in Lagos – Nigeria, in 1999 as an independent, not-for-profit, research, training, advocacy and capacity-building organization. The Centre was established to mobilize global opinion and resources for democratic development and provide an independent space to reflect critically on the challenges posed to the democratization and development processes in West Africa and provide alternatives and best practices to the sustenance of democracy and development in the region. CDD envisions a West Africa that is democratically governed, economically integrated – promoting human security and people-centred development. The Centre’s mission is to be the prime catalyst and facilitator for strategic analysis and capacity building for sustainable democracy and development in the West African sub-region.
About the Internship
To provide support for its programmes aimed at countering fake news and misinformation, CDD is recruiting talented and passionate young individuals as fact-checkers. Candidates for the internship will be self-starters who possess excellent written and communication skills. Candidates for this internship role must be multi-taskers with a readiness to meet deadlines, given the time-bound feature of many fact checks. Ideal candidates must possess the tenacity to consistently track fake news and misinformation and provide the appropriate narratives to counter such content on and offline. To be successful on this assignment, candidates for the internship will possess the capacity to:
- Spot fake news, disinformation and misinformation, and respond quickly to same by drafting accurate fact checks.
- Rapidly contact reliable and authoritative sources to confirm the accuracy of information, claims and counterclaims.
- Consistently beam the searchlight on regular and non-regular sources of misinformation.
- Competently deploy data-driven approaches, visualization techniques and relevant technical processes to aid the fact-checking operations.
- Draft weekly roundup of fact checks.
- Work closely with fact-checking editors to ensure appropriate and rigorous systems are developed to guide
- Draft, review and validate fact checks in line with set programme targets
- Consistently track known sources of misinformation, including but not limited to political actors, ethnic agenda champions, and social influencers
- Participate in the drafting and development of expanded programme reports on impact and mileage of fact checks
- Support donor reporting and project proposal development, including proper implementation for the realization of project deliverables.
Applicants for this internship must possess a Bachelors Degree, preferably in arts and social in any discipline, and must have completed their National Youth Service (NYSC). Applicants for the internship must not be more than 35 years. Interested applicants should send CVs and Cover Letters to email@example.com on or before Friday, May 7, 2021. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.